Monday, September 1, 2014

Today

I think I'm going to stay indoors today. Today is the deadline that Dr Abdullah's faction set in their ultimatum that their demands for the audit of the presidential election be met; otherwise they have promised to pull out of the electoral process. And the rumor is that Karzai intends to vacate the presidential palace today because it is the day he set for the inauguration of the new president. I had dinner with a journalist last night who had just visited Karzai and asked him about the rumors. He replied that everyone was advising Karzai not to leave the palace because it would create a power vacuum and invite a coup. But he didn't say Karzai agreed with everyone.
If Karzai does leave the palace it will be perfect timing for the Taliban to launch as many attacks as possible on both Ghani and Abdullah's factions and generally to paralyze the capital in order to foment political chaos. Chaos in the central government can only help the Taliban comeback.
So I'm going to stay home and read and check Twitter often and hope that I'm being alarmist and that nothing happens.

UPDATE: I was being alarmist. I'm going to Karaoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment