Thursday, September 4, 2014

new friend (cont)

Wahid, the little housekeeper from my former guesthouse, stopped by yesterday not for a social visit but to inform me that he'd quit his job at the other house and hand me a copy of his CV. Apparently he worked as a welder for a Turkish construction company from the ages of 14-16. Also he worked for Blackwater (since renamed Academi) for a couple years; he biked over to their base to drop off a CV before visiting me. I posted an ad on the "Kabul Survival Guide" online bulletin board advertising his services as a chowkidar (literally: one who has a chair) and handyman but doubt anything will come of it. Postings per day on the site are far lower than 2 years ago.
Wahid said he'd bring me the momlayi he'd promised to get delivered from Badakhshan in the next week (which I thought was the purpose of his visit). He swears by it as the best remedy for back pain. I wonder if it would be a mistake to try to bring some back to the US through customs.

2 comments:

  1. Momlayi sounds intriguing. I read wiki article but am still confused about what it is exactly. Flying squirrel shit that has baked in mountai crevices until it becomes oozy and tar-like? I hope you can sneak some through customs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep I think that's what it is--although since when do flying squirrels live in mountain caves and not forest tree? I'll provide a report when I taste the stuff.

    ReplyDelete