Tuesday, August 21, 2012

in Kandahar

aerial of Kabul:


One of the flight attendants looked exactly like a tanned Amy Winehouse.

Sharing Kandahar airport with military planes:


Not too many people seem to speak Persian around here, so I'm completely dependent on guides. I just met with a fixer/translator who's giving me the bargain day rate of $120, and will be driving around all day tomorrow doing interviews. For today looks like I'm confined to my quarters, which at least gives me time to catch up on transcribing other interviews and if I'm feeling ambitious to begin to drag my data into some kind of order.

2 comments:

  1. was she dressed like amy winehouse, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well no, but the retro-looking stewardess outfit and revealing little pillbox hat were perhaps the Afghan equivalent of a tank top and push-up bra.

    ReplyDelete